Wednesday 15 August 2012

“What I’m most afraid of when I go back, isn’t being killed. What really petrifies me is being attacked and tortured.”

“What I’m most afraid of when I go back, isn’t being killed. What really petrifies me is being attacked and tortured.”
One night several men broke into her room, where they raped her. She fled the camp the same night.
“I didn’t go to the Red Cross and report it. It was them who put me there. Why should I trust people who hadn’t even bothered to listen and who had put me in that situation?”
...
“Basically a transgender woman is likely to be placed in a male dormitory but in a single room. But we would not place her in a women’s dormitory because that is definitely for women, where cannot permit ourselves to place a man.” Says Anne La Coeur.
...
 The two women, who have both fought for transgender rights in Guatemala, say that transgender people have no possibilities other than prostitution. Yet these two both tried another way. Paola enrolled on an educational course and paid a lot of money to be accepted, but on the first day when she showed up and they found that her gender did not match that on her ID, she was thrown out.
“Education was only for men and women and not for people like me.” Says Paola.

"In Guatemala if you are different you are cut off from your family, from society and by the government. You cannot get an education. You cannot get medical treatment because if you arrive at the hospital as a woman and your papers say that you are not, they refuse to treat you even if you are bleeding to death. They would rather let you die than treat you.” Says Fernanda.

The reason, according to Fernanda, is that Guatemala is a Catholic country, where the church has a great deal of power, and its fear spreads out through society and makes people resort to vigilantism. “I know no transgender people in Guatemala over 35,” she says.

“What I’m most afraid of when I go back, isn’t being killed. What really petrifies me is being attacked and tortured.” Says Fernanda.
Translation of an article which appeared in the Danish newspaper Politiken on the 14 August 2012 At the police station, she was told that rape was a consequence of her choice to be transsexual.

2 comments:

Billie said...

Except for the actions at the hospital this sounds exactly like America! We simply need rational voices to tell our stories so that society can become inclusive as opposed to confused.

Anonymous said...

Except for the actions at the hospital this sounds exactly like America!

I refer you to the case of Trya Hunter:


Jessie_C